This archive includes photos, a database of parish ministers, church history, and more.

Church Photos

Click an image to open it full screen and to read descriptions.

The First Church
The First Church

This church was located on Argyle St. N. at the Railway tracks. (Unknown)

press to zoom
Birds Eye View Caledonia, Ont
Birds Eye View Caledonia, Ont

This church was located on Argyle St. N. at the Railway tracks. (Unknown)

press to zoom
St Paul's English Church Caledonia
St Paul's English Church Caledonia

This church was located on Argyle St. N. at the Railway tracks. (Unknown)

press to zoom

Parish Histories

Caledonia & District, A History (1967):

One can trace the Registers of St. Paul’s Church, the fine and still very legible writing of the first Anglican Missionary to the County of Haldimand, the Reverend Bold Cudmore Hill – who arrived in the year 1838 from Ireland. 

Making York his headquarters he set out to preach the Gospel and administer the sacraments. He must have been a very familiar figure on horseback, and there is evidence in the Registers of all the Anglican Churches in this county of the foundation of Cudmore Hill. He died at the age of seventy-two as a result of falling off a horse, and is buried in the lovely cemetery at St. John’s Church. Mr. hill’s successor, the Reverend E. Horace Musson lived in Caledonia, and stayed here as Rector until 1874. He lived in the house now occupied by L. Dunstall, Caithness Street East at Seneca.

The following have been Rectors of the Church since 1874.

Rev. H.F. Mellish, 1874-1899.

Rev. Canon Wm. Bevan, 1899-1902

Rev. J.K. Godden, M.A., 1902-1913.

Rev. Capt. E.P. Lyons, 1913-1925

Rev. C.M. Dumas (acting for Capt. Lyons during war years)

Rev. P.W. Richardson, 1925-1933

Rev. P.A. Sawyer, 1933-1944

Rev. W.R. Symons, 1944-1952

Rev. K.G. Kiddell, 1952-1956

Rev. Philip Harding 1956-1968

Rev. Linklater 1968-1969

Rev. K. Kersey 1970-

Mr. Mellish and his family resided first opposite the Presbyterian Church and afterwards where Dr. Berry lived in Sutherland St. West until a rectory was purchased on Orkney St. just west of the C.N.R. tracks. This was a cottage but when Canon Bevan came here in 1899 with his wife and six children a second storey was added. This property was sold in 1944 and the present rectory was purchased on Orkney St. East across from the church.

The original church was built in 1849 and was used until the present church was built and completed when the old church was torn down and removed. The cemetery still remains where the old church was. In 1927 the present church was built during the time Rev. P. Richardson was Rector. The first service was held in the present Church on December 8th, 1927. It is interesting to note that some of the fifth generation of the original members are now worshiping in the present church.

 

Harrison Arrell's History (1950):

Rev. Bold Cudmore Hill, M.A., who was a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin, came from Ireland as a Church of England Missionary to the County of Haldimand in 1838. He settled at York as it was the largest place in the County, at that time, and had a population of 300.

The first Church of England clergyman of who visited these parts was the Rev. John Stuart, a native of the State of Virginia who had been educated in England. His headquarters in 1790 were at Niagara but his mission extended to the Mohawk Indians on the Grand River.

The Rev. Robert Addison succeeded Mr. Stuart at Niagara in 1792 and his wide territory included the Grand River.

There were no churches. Services were conducted as the clergyman passed through; in the school house, if available. If not, in private homes which were in those days for the most part merely log houses.

Rev. Ralph Leeming was sent by the Society for propagation of the Gospel in Foreign parts to Upper Canada and he settled in Ancaster in 1816.

Rev. John Miller came to Ancaster in 1830. He was an Irishman, a graduate of Trinity College at Dublin and born in 1798. It is interesting to note here that Rev. Mr. Hill was born in 1798 and he was also a graduate of Trinity College at Dublin and it would seem fair to conclude that these two men attended Trinity College at the same time. One might conjecture that Mr. Miller had written to Mr. Hill and that Mr. Hill came here as a result.

Mr. Hill resided at York until the time of his death in 1870. He did all his travelling on horseback and died as a result of injuries received by a fall from his horse. He was a noted classical scholar and besides faithfully performing the arduous duties of his pastoral work over an unusually wide field, he prepared students for the Universities and professional life generally.

Rev. E. Horace Mussen succeeded Mr. Hill and remained here until 1874. He took up residence in Caledonia in the house now occupied by John Meier as this Village had then a population of about one thousand.

The following have been Rectors of the Church here since 1874:

Rev. H.F. Mellish, 1874-1902

Rev. Canon Wm. Bevan, 1899-1902

Rev. J.K. Godden M.A., 1902-1913

Rev. Capt. W.P. Lyons, 1913-1925

Rev. C.M. Dumas, Acting Rector during the absence of Capt. Lyons on Active Service 1916-1919

Rev. P.W. Richardson, 1925-1933

Rev. P.A. Sawyer, 1933-1944

Rev. W.R. Symons, M.A. is the present Rector.

Mr. Mellish and his family resided first opposite the Presbyterian Church and afterwards where Dr. Berry now resides until a Rectory was purchased on Orkney Street just West of the Canadian National Railway at present occupied by Mrs. George Miller and her daughter. This was only a cottage but when Canon Bevan came here in 1899 with his wife and six children a second storey was added. This property was sold in 1944 and the present rectory was purchased.

The original church was built in 1849 and was used until the present Church was built and completed when the old church was torn down and removed. The cemetery still remains where the old church was. In 1927 the present church was built during the time Rev. Mr. Richardson was rector at an approximate cost of $22,000. The first service was held in the present church on December 8, 1927. It is interesting to note that some of the fifth generation of the original members are now worshipping in the present church.

Related Documents

Click to download selected related histories and Parish publications: